Thursday, April 26, 2012

Champagne Problems


     A dear friend of mine recently introduced me to the term, "champagne problems." This is the term we use to describe the complaints of privileged people. We actually call one another sometimes and say that we want to talk about our "champagne problems" meaning we want to be able to vent our little irritations without feeling guilty about how our problems are actually very minor in the grand scheme of things. Some of them are just downright absurd in comparison to the real issues many people are facing. We laugh at our "champagne problems" as we share them. She recently told me about her frustration with having to change her vacation plans from Europe to the Caribbean. My commute to my fantastic job is just too long. I hear other parents whining about their kid talking non-stop and to me, it is a champagne problem. They should be grateful that talking comes so easy for their child. I recently met a family with a special needs baby who faces a life of medical treatment. We connected as parents of children who are not in the "typical" category. I found myself almost embarrassed to describe my son's deafness as any kind of challenge. I realized that our therapy sessions, hearing device care, education decisions, etc. are just champagne problems. E is healthy, happy, and thriving, so CHEERS! Here's to our champagne problem, what's yours?





No comments:

Post a Comment