Monday, January 7, 2013

E's First Trip to the ER

We have had quite a bit going on lately. E had a great Christmas and was completely spoiled by his grandparents and aunts. E's big gift from Santa was a new play room! We turned the guest area down stairs into a play room by building a new wall along the stairs and recarpeting everything. The guest bed has now been moved upstairs into the office. E is very excited to have his own space to play and tumble and we are very excited to reclaim our living room.

 We still have some decorating to do, but here is the play room so far. You can see E sitting in the blue bean bag chair in the middle of the pic.

 One of E's Christmas presents from my parents was a bubble machine. E loved having hundreds of bubbles rain down on him. He also is now the proud owner of every play doh tool known to man!

My husband left the morning of New Year's Day to go to the 2013 Passion conference with the college students. He was gone until late Friday night. I went to the nanny's house after work to pick up E. She very kindly offered to send us home with dinner and so I was assisting her with packaging some food. E took this window of opportunity to stand on the couch (which he KNOWS he is not allowed to do) and ended up falling backward. I heard the thump and the cry and rushed to scoop him off the floor. I was cuddling him in my lap and calming him when our nanny informed me that he was bleeding. I pulled my hand away from his head to see it covered in blood. I thought he had just fallen onto the floor, but he had clipped the edge of the coffee table. We put pressure on the cut and packed in the car for a trip to the ER. Other than a cut on his head, E did not seem to have any problems. He was eerily calm, but did excellent through the entire process. He even allowed them to papoose and suture him without much fuss. He was probably a better patient than I would have been! The doc observed him as he played games on my phone and interacted and said that he did not seem to have any effect other than a very mild concussion at worst. Three stitches, later, we were headed home. My husband was still on the road coming back from Atlanta when I called to tell him the news. By the time we arrived home, well past E's bedtime, Daddy was there to meet us with the Mickey Mouse he had purchased for E while on his trip.

E loves his new Mickey and we will certainly never forget the day Mickey arrived at our house!
 
 

 I moved the futon cushion into the play room, but have yet to move the frame. E seems to like the big cushion on the floor so much, that I'm not sure we will change it. He was very happy to have Daddy back home as you can see. We found Sesame Street "Alphabet Jungle" in the discount bin at WalMart and it has been pretty much on repeat all weekend. E's stitches are on the left side of his head toward the back. Yes, this is the same side as his cochlear implant. We were really concerned about that, but the cut is about an inch above the implant, so everything was fine.

Oh, I forgot to mention that E had gone that same day to the pediatrician for a cold and ear infections. Two doctor's visits in one day! I was feeling like an especially awful parent. Add to that the fact that E decided to take his first roll out of his toddler bed Saturday night. I was relaxing and watching TV when I heard BLAM! AHHHHHHHHH! I found that I can really move quickly! I raced into E's room and flipped on the light to find him sitting on the floor beside his bed with a very confused look on his face. I cradled him and he told me to turn the light off. He then climbed back into his bed and went right back to sleep. The toddler bed is not far from the ground at all and it has a railing, but the railing does not cover the entire length of the bed. We took E's old changing pad and placed it on the floor beside the bed. Any future tumbles will land on plenty of cushion.

Speaking of changing pad...E is now #1 potty trained!! We have yet to have potty success with #2, but he is out of diapers except for pullups during nap and night. He looks and acts less and less like my little baby every day. He is growing up so very fast. See...it's been quite chaotic around our house lately!




No comments:

Post a Comment