Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Starting Over

  I have officially begun the next chapter of my life. My job of almost six years ended with the end of 2011. I started classes to become an ASL interpreter. It will take approximately two years to complete the course work and obtain certification. I am continuing to work as a graphic designer on a freelance basis, but am unsure how much work I will be able to receive. It is a strange feeling for me to not really have much of an idea of what life will look like for us in the next year. I am clearly a type A personality and I like to feel like I have a good sense of what to expect within reason. I cannot recall ever feeling more adrift than I do at this moment. When people ask me, "what are you gong to do now?" I can only smile and shrug.

  E continues to thrive as always and impress everyone with his intelligence. He has not added any additional verbalized words, but continues to use the five already acquired. E continues to sign and surprise us by signing words we did not even realize he knew. He has mastered signing most of the alphabet and has seemingly decided that his favorite letter is O. I do not know why he loves O, but he seeks it out on his iPad letter apps and it is his favorite to try to write. He is very articulate in telling us what he desires. The other morning, he walked up to my husband and signed, "please more milk" and handed over his sippy cup. I am very pleased with E's ability to communicate and hope that he keeps improving his ASL skills along with his verbalization. Though E is consistently responding to his name, he is also developing the selective hearing common to most toddlers. E is becoming quite the expert at ignoring me both verbally and visually when it suits him to do so. E will even purposely look away if you are telling him to do something or stop doing something that doesn't agree with what he wants. We have a headstrong little boy on our hands and I have no doubt the "terrible twos" are going to be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment