Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ten on Tues

1. I love ABC Family's "Switched at Birth" and HIGHLY encourage everyone to go to ABC Family's website to watch the episodes if you have not seen it. We love the character of Emmett. I love seeing such a witty, intelligent, and good hearted character who is also deaf.

2. I also love that signing is such a featured part of the show that ABC Family has included a gallery on their site where the cast of the show "teach" the sign language alphabet:
http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/switched-at-birth/photos-details/learn-american-sign-language-cast-switched-birth/811784/807870

3. E has added more signs to his vocabulary. He now does cookie, monkey, hurt, bug, and lion. I need to keep a list in my purse of his words. He adds new ones so quickly that I have a hard time listing them all when people ask me what he knows.

4. I think my favorite pair of jeans have finally "bit the dust." I have patched them so many times. I have had them since I was a freshman in college. They had reached that perfect softness, but that also means that you could just about shoot broom straw through them. I just can't bear throwing them out yet. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with them. Any crafty ideas?

5. We have ordered a new signing book. It includes phrases that even contain the curse words. We wanted to learn the curse words to make sure we do not accidentally sign them. My husband tends to get lazy with his signing and sometimes doesn't follow through or fully express a sign. On several occasions, he has signed a different word than the one he intended. We have been told that many innocent signs can easily become insults or worse if not properly executed. Recently, when asked how he was doing, he signed "good," but didn't pay close attention and ended up telling the person that he was "vomiting" instead!

6. Our "new normal" has become so natural to me that I really am shocked when I hear another child E's age verbalize words. It takes me a second to realize that, by the typical standards, it is not strange.

7. E is walking pretty well now, but he hates shoes. He likes to try to put his shoes on and take them off, but he really doesn't care for shoes when he wants to walk. 

8. Now that E can walk, he wants to get down and walk wherever we are. This isn't always possible though because when he stumbles, there are just certain places you do not want his hands and knees to touch. Wal-Mart is a perfect example. He desperately wants to walk in Wal-Mart, but the thought of the things on that floor make my skin crawl!

9. We have been teaching E to say please when he wants a snack. Now, he not only does please on his own chest, but will reach out and make a little circle with his fist on my chest as well. It just melts my heart with cuteness!

10. The lady that cares for E during the day told me that she was trying to get E to settle down for a nap. She placed her finger over her lips and said, "shhhhhhhhhhh." E copied her by sticking his finger up his nose and blowing a raspberry :-) Close enough, I guess! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving Switched at Birth too! Such great exposure for hearing loss, hearing aids, Deaf culture, and ASL. I love that the characters have so much more depth than their "disabiilty" - usually when a show features an individual with a disability, that episode becomes "about" that person's disability. Can't wait to see the next episode!

    -SLP grad student

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the show too. I was a little disappointed by the unfactual statements about cochlear implants last week (i.e. you have to cut into the brain and the device is not removable)...both statements are untrue. I wish the writers would do their research. Other than that, we have been loving the show too! We also are big fans of Emmett. We've even learned some new signs from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily's Mom: I agree I was frustrated with the bad information on cochlear. I had hoped that they would clear that up, but with only two episodes left, I am not sure that will happen. I guess it does serve as a good example though of how incorrect information and opinions exist on both sides of the spectrum. I think that the show has done a good job of showing that Regina is still a bit off the mark too in her efforts on Daphne's behalf. In her desire to protect Daphne, she also places limits on her.

    ReplyDelete