Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Second Job

  I am a full time working mom. I have a new job though. I am also a full time advocate for my child. I feel like I am constantly chasing down answers for E. The paperwork for E to the state and for programs like Beginnings somehow fell through the cracks. Fortunately, I took it upon myself to call and inquire as to why we had not yet been contacted. Thank goodness I did! Apparently, our paperwork got lost somewhere in fax land. I also have had to call the hospital and try to track down results for testing done three weeks ago. I have names and numbers scribbled all over the place. You know how it goes...you call person A who tells you to call person B who says they'll relay the information to person C and person C will tell person D to give you a call back. I cannot help but wonder about the children out there with parents that do not have the access or the knowledge to doggedly pursue the information. Is it supposed to be this frustrating? Is it supposed to be this much of a hassle? This is only the beginning!
 
   There are days that I just don't know how I am supposed to do it all. How am I supposed to be a great mom, a good employee, a loving wife, AND keep this house clean? Oh, and throw in there being some kind of private investigator / super sleuth tracking down everything my son needs! At the end of the day, when my sweet baby is snoozing peacefully in his crib, I sit down with my husband and silently dread the energy it is going to take to brush my teeth and change before climbing into the bed. What does that say? Seriously? I'm too tired to want to brush my teeth?! Don't worry, I still brush them :-)

3 comments:

  1. U need a VACATION!!!!! :) Have good one and you guys deserve it big time!

    Love ya

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marshay, I don't know if you remember me. Tad I used to go to church together in high school, Rabun Creek. Anyway, I wanted to tell you I have been reading this and I am impressed with how well you are handling this and I am positive you are a wonderful wife and mom. One thing I know is that God knows the plans he has for us ( that used to be Tads fav verse). You guys can be strong and keep being the mommy you already are. I will continue to lift you guys up for more strength and wisdom. May God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! We always enjoy "meeting" new families on a similar journey.

    Oh how I dread those days of insurance phone calls, hospital phone calls, IEP meetings, goal settings etc. I often cringe at the fact too how the hospitals/schools etc get over on some parents who just don't know their rights ... know they can fight if they don't agree. I wish I could say the advocating part gets easier, and it does to a sense, you just get sick of fighting for what you know is right for your child.

    Best of luck to you all on your journey! I look forward to following!

    ReplyDelete