Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where's Daddy?

  Last night, E was playing at my feet in the kitchen as I cooked dinner. My husband walked into another part of the kitchen and I asked (and signed) "Where's Daddy?" to E. I said, "Where's Daddy? Let's call him...OH Daaaaadddddeeeee!" What I didn't expect was that E cupped his hands around his mouth and called out as clear and plain as could be, "Daaaaaaddddeeeeeeeee." Of course Daddy came running in and E laughed and clapped that the summons had been successful.

  Sometimes E says things that are only understandable in context and if you know what he's trying to say. Other times, he says something so clearly that it makes you pause and marvel at his enunciation. The "eeeeee" sound of words with y endings is not something we have worked on so we were quite shocked when he articulated it so clearly. I know I asked him to call for his Daddy, but I expected a "Dada" if anything at all. Mostly, I expected E to sign "Daddy" since he prefers his signing communication. I have always heard the saying, "If you're going to pray for rain, you'd better carry an umbrella." I guess we can add to that, "If you're going to ask your CI toddler to say something, you'd better be prepared to hear it."

  On another hearing related note, my husband was telling me when I got home from work about E insisting that only one of his socks be placed on his foot. He has this thing with socks...he like to wear only one. I guess E overheard us talking about socks because he walked up to me and tapped my leg for my attention. When I looked at him, he had brought me his socks. Prior to the sock conversation, he was happily engaged in "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" so we were very surprised that he picked up on our indirect conversation. I guess it is really time to watch what we say in front of him like typical toddler parents.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment