Sunday, April 1, 2012

One Year

  This time last year, on my husband's birthday, we experienced a terrible day in which we had a failed ABR test attempt when the hospital could not get an IV started. The next day, we experienced a joy that made up for that day...our little boy signed his first word. It is hard to believe it has been an entire year since we began this journey and yet it also seems as if I have a hard time remembering what life was like before it. One year ago, my baby signed "Daddy" and brought tears to our eyes. One year later, he has a HUGE sign vocabulary and a bit of verbalization to go with it. Today, I marveled as my little one told a very impassioned story to me (that only he understood) with the accompaniment of random signs and voice. He signed along with me tonight as I read him his Bible story. After tripping in the grass earlier in the day, he said "uh-oh" as cute and clear as can be. I love that he has options for his communication style and I love his personality and energy. He is 100% boy and I couldn't be more proud. This has certainly been the most transformative year of our lives. The journey is hard, but the scenery is breath taking!

In case you missed the original post, here is the video from a year ago of baby's first sign:
http://www.redefiningnormalhmc.blogspot.com/2011/03/babys-first-sign.html

No comments:

Post a Comment