Thursday, August 4, 2011

So Many Signs

  E loves being outside. He is ALL boy when he is outside with his doggy. Thanks to our muggy southern weather, this is what his hair looks like after playing :-)


  I decided to compile a list of the E's current signing vocabulary. These are only the signs he actually uses himself. I did not include the ones he understands, but does not sign.

daddy, mama, apple, airplane, cat, dog, duck, elephant, giraffe, monkey, yes, please, thank you, bed, go, ball, car, all done, milk, deer, hat, bug, tree, lion, fish, I love you, come, play, eat/food, drink, more, baby, light, cookie, horse, potty, book, grandpa, hurt

That's 39 signs that make up his current vocabulary and he adds more every week. I am so proud of my little man :-) I think that is a pretty impressive vocabulary for any 14-month-old!


On another note, I have a new ringtone for my phone! We recorded E laughing the other night and my husband turned it into a ringtone for me. Now, every time someone calls me, I get my own fit of the giggles as I listen to my little boy's laugh. It brightens up those around me as well. A baby's laugh is just contagious to everyone. Hands down...best. ringtone. EVER.

1 comment:

  1. BTW, on the topic of reading to deaf kids, the best way I've heard of for story books, rather than picture-word books, comes from a teacher's aide who is deaf. The problem is that watching the story and watching the pictures compete for each child's attention, so they have a dilemma. This aide goes through a story book three times. First she assures the kids that they will have a chance to see the pictures. However, she sets the book in her own lap and tells the story in ASL translation. (If you've never seen the difference, check this video, it is really funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Bzhzj26hnOs) Then, after telling the story, she turns the book to face the kids and goes through the pictures, connecting them with the story. Then, she goes through the English text, to connect the English with the story in ASL, to explain idioms, and to look for opportunities to teach and reinforce English skills. This method reinforces competence in both languages.


    David

    ReplyDelete