Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Toddler" is Not the Right Word

   
  So, my son is walking and is now a "toddler" I guess. That word makes you think of cute little wobbly steps and giggles. To me, "toddler" translates "exhausted mommy." He is all over the place and into everything! Now that he can walk, he wants to do everything on his own. He does NOT want to be carried and don't even THINK of putting him in a stroller or shopping buggy. He wants to explore though and has no intention of politely tagging along behind mommy. I used to feel like a gold star mom when I took my son with me into stores. Well, that was good while it lasted. My easy-going, perfectly behaved baby is now a toddler on a mission. Trying to wrangle him makes me look deranged and sweaty. I feel certain that, to the outside world, I look like a terrible mom with no control over her kid. I have to laugh when other moms give me that knowing nod and sympathetic smile. We all know what this stage is like, but in the moment, it doesn't make you feel any better. He's still very sweet and good tempered, but he is just a tornado of action now!

   I made a quick trip to Kohl's the other day to buy some shorts for E that were on a great sale. I was silently thanking God that E had consented to being carried and was happily and quietly along for the ride while I shopped. Toward the end of the shopping trip, I felt something tap my back and realized that at some point, E had plucked a giant bra as we were passing a rack and had been carrying it around with us. I had to let him stand for a second to be able to get the bra from him. This moment of standing seemed to remind him how much he loved to walk and led to a struggle to hold him when I picked him back up again. I finally just said, "whatever" and carried him super man-style with my arm around his middle. While effective and surprisingly OK with E, I was certain I looked like a crazy, terrible parent.

  I took E to a deaf social this evening. He was of course not at all interested in sitting in my lap to eat or chat. He was in full exploration mode. I spent the entire time hovering around my little explorer trying to keep him out of everything. Once again, I felt like I was DEFINITELY not the one in control. When I got home, I really put the icing on the cake when I realized that, in my rush to get E dressed and out the door, I had put his shoes on the wrong feet. Way to go me....just awesome. I remember as a kid sometimes thinking that my mom was crazy. I now realize that I am certainly the one that made her that way! At least bouncing against the padded walls might be fun when they come to take
me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment