Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Max Power

  E's hearing aids have been turned up again. The left one is at max power. It is so wide open that any time anything comes near it or if it the ear mold isn't PERFECTLY sealed in, it sounds like a chorus of mechanical crickets in the house. E has started pulling his hearing aids out when he gets sleepy. He knows that we take them out before naps and bed, so he has started signaling that he's tired by taking them out himself. At least the cricket chorus lets me know immediately that one has been removed and where to find it. I am starting to get used to it, but it can be a little strange when we're in public and people are trying to figure out what they are hearing. Oh...that space craft landing sound?....yeah...that's just my baby!
 
  Another new "thing" for E is somersaults. He puts his head on the ground and then tries his best to push his legs over. He can almost do it, but a little help from mommy is needed. He thinks this is hilarious of course :-) He is wide open all the time. He is very mobile even though he is not walking unassisted yet. He could if he would only realize that he shouldn't lead with his head. He needs to be a little more cautious. He just goes for it full speed and gets ahead of himself...literally. E is extremely independent. He has always insisted on doing everything himself. He will even push your hands away if you try to intervene rather than allowing him to work it out himself.
 
  In preparation for walking, we bought him a backpack leash thing. Now before you start leaving me nasty comments about freeing the leash kids on here, let me explain. First of all, the backpack is subtle and very cute. Second, I already know he will not be a hold-your-hand type of kid. He is just too independent. Third, and most important, if he ever gets a little out of my reach, I cannot yell for him to get his little booty back to my side. When your toddler is deaf, you can't fuss, yell, or warn if you can't touch. We stomp on the ground to get E's attention when he is out of reach in the house, but this will not work outside or on concrete floors. The backpack will give me peace of mind while still letting E feel like he is getting to be independent. I'm sure I will get a few dirty looks from other parents from time to time, but I will endure them if it means I never have to feel my heart stop as my toddler gets too far ahead of me in a parking lot or wanders away in a store. If you don't like it, we'll team up and close line you with our kid leash ;-)

1 comment:

  1. No issues with kid leashes, as long as they are used appropriately :)

    Once he is old enough, you can teach him to "check" with you by making eye contact. He may already naturally do this (turns to look at you when he realizes he no longer sees you). Of course, a bullheaded 2 and 3 year old won't always do this, but we were pretty good with it 95% of the time. Anytime he started getting far ahead he'd look back and I'd be able to tell him "stop at the edge of that bookshelf and wait" or "come back, you're too far" or "don't touch that, that's dog poop!" (hehe). Even d/Deaf adults naturally do this, I think it's somewhat instinctual.

    You can also teach him when he is older to stay within arm's reach, and to hold hands when walking near the street.

    We had the hearing aid whistling thing too. Sometimes the hearing aids will automatically cancel the feedback (but I think this depends on the aid and the setting it is on).

    E's one year old pictures are cute - he looks rather impish.

    ReplyDelete