Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

1. While playing at the Chick-fil-a playground yesterday, E had a little boy come to me and ask what was on his ears. I explained what a hearing aid was and why E needed them. E signed to the boy and I explained that E was talking to him using sign language. "Cool" said the boy and he began to "talk" back to E. The little boy didn't know a lick of sign, but he wiggled his hands as he talked to E and seemed to really think he was saying what he wanted to say. It was really great to see the innocence, curiosity, and acceptance of the little boy. While his hand wiggles meant nothing, it was very cute to see him try to interact with E.

2. E literally fell asleep standing up the other night. He refuses to lay down in his crib because he knows the moment he lays down, he loses his fight against sleep. I noticed on the video monitor that he was very quiet and very still, but standing. I went in to see that he had wadded up his blankie against the rail and laid his head on it. He was asleep on his feet. I guess it's good sometimes that he doesn't hear because I laughed out loud as I eased him down onto the mattress. Bless his little heart :-)

3. E does so well using my iPhone that I am seriously thinking about saving up to buy him an iPad. I think it would be good to have on our looooong trips to the hospital. Any parents of toddlers out there have an iPad? What are your thoughts? What are the best apps out there for toddlers?

4. E blows kisses. They are not just any kisses though. He blows french kisses! He licks his hand and then blows his kiss.

5. E has started "reading" his books to me. He brings me a book, points to the pictures, then signs to me. He is usually babbling with his hands and not signing any real words, but he is obviously telling me a ton of stuff if only I understood :-)

6. I need advice on brushing a baby's teeth. E likes to brush his own teeth, but he only really chews on the bristles. If he had any molars, they would be really clean, but he has only four teeth and they are right up front. When I try to brush them myself, he either purses his lips tightly or sticks his tongue in the way so I can't reach his teeth. Any tips or tricks?

7. Summer is really tough when you're married to a youth minister. We are coming up on the time of year when my husband is gone for a week, home for a week, gone for another week, then home for another week, then gone again. Thank goodness for Skype.

8. We are thinking about having a silent dinner with our friends. This is a dinner where voices are not allowed. It will force us to really polish our signing skills. Friends of ours that have been to many silent dinners before said that sometimes they have even had to put a quarter into a jar if they are caught voicing! I don't think we would do that (mostly because the jar would probably be full of quarters from ME) but it's a fun idea none the less. Have any of you ever attended a silent dinner? What was it like?

9. I really want to learn to sew. I have a sewing machine and I have sewn things before, but I was just kind of making it up as I went along. I do not actually know how to properly sew. I do not have time though to take a class or anything. I guess I will just have to continue to look longingly at sewing projects that are beyond my reach.....*sigh*

10. If it weren't for DVR, I don't think I would ever see a TV program that wasn't animated. The great thing about the DVR is that we are able to save episodes of "Signing Time" and play them whenever we want. I wish Rachel Coleman of "Signing Time" would make a series for adults!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the finger brush to brush E's teeth? That's what I'm still using with R and it seems to get the job done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my turn brushing then they get theirs. I sing a little song to cue them, but I think that any fun rhythmic movement that indicates your turn then his would do the trick. Not perfectly, of course, but usually when they figure out that you're going to take your whole turn, then they can have theirs, they go with it.

    ReplyDelete